Drawing (A) Life - Debate
In Painting, Drawing and Printmaking at Arts University Plymouth, in both BA & MA levels we are bringing attention to the way drawing from the body has been lost from art education in the last thirty years. In this digital age and after covid, the need for a reappraisal of the embodied physical experience of drawing from the body as a significant activity is highly topical. We believe that drawing from life needs a central place once more in the curriculum as a key learning drawing activity in arts universities, art colleges, foundation courses and schools.
This debate will contribute both intellectually and physically to the educational debate within art education and social discussions of our city and regional communities. Into identity, well-being of embodied activities on mental health, creativity in on-line and off-line communication.
In the studio:
- Professor Stephen Felmingham - Pro Vice-Chancellor, Arts University Plymouth
- Richard Kenton Webb - Course Leader Painting Drawing & Printmaking, Arts University Plymouth
- Sandra Smith - Director of the Summer School, Slade School of Fine Art, London
- Gabrielle Llewellin - Principal of Totnes Foundation Course
- Kieran Walsh - Student: MA Painting, Arts University Plymouth
- Karmin O'Brien - Student: MA Painting, Arts University Plymouth
- Charley Dyson - Student: BA (Hons) Painting Drawing & Printmaking, Arts University Plymouth
Joining us online:
- Professor Benny Fountain - Baylor University, Texas, USA
- Richard Davey - Nottingham Trent University
- Veronique Devoldere - Paris College of Art
- Jan-Philipp Fruehsorge - The Berlin Drawing Hub
This event will take place both online and in person at Arts University Plymouth.
Limited tickets for the in person event are available.
Please click on the register to attend button to book your free ticket.
Thursday 9 Feb: 2pm - 5pm