33150270514 a7ec7f1b17 k 1

At Arts University Plymouth, the health and wellbeing of our students, staff and visitors are of the highest importance.

If you have course-related queries you should contact your Course Leader. If you have any other questions about your first term, including accommodation, key dates, timetables, and language support, please email international@aup.ac.uk.

To view the latest key dates and timetable information for your course, please click the relevant study-level below:

We welcome applications from disabled international students and we encourage you to declare your disability and your support needs as soon as possible. Telling us about your disability will not affect your selection as a student, but will enable us to assess your needs and inform you as to what extent we can meet your requirements.

In order to help put the right support in place for you, the Student Support team may need to discuss your disability-related requirements with other people and organisations. If you do not wish Student Support to disclose your disability-related information, you must inform them of this immediately.

For information on the support available and if you have any specific access requirements, please contact Student Support on +44 (0)1752 203423 or email studentsupport@aup.ac.uk.

If you require a copy of this information in an alternative format, please contact us.

From 5 October 2020 the Student Visa replaced the Tier 4 route. As an international student, you will need a Student visa which you can apply for online.

  • The Student route, which falls under the UK's new points-based immigration system, improves on the previous Tier 4 route making for a more streamlined experience for both sponsoring institutions and students.

  • Visas that have been issued through the Tier 4 route are still valid and those eligible will still be able to apply for the Graduate Route when it opens in summer 2021.

  • The Graduate Route will be available to international students who have completed a degree at undergraduate level or above at a Higher Education Provider with a track record of compliance and who have a valid Student (or Tier 4) visa at the time of application.

  • More information about the UK’s new points-based immigration system can be found here. Further guidance for EU, EEA and Swiss students, who from 1 January will need to comply with the new system can be found here.

  • EU, EEA and Swiss citizens resident in the UK before 31 December should apply to the EU settlement scheme.

EU, EEA and Swiss students resident in the UK by 31 December.

EU, EEA and Swiss students resident in the UK by 31 December 2020 should not apply for a Student visa through the new points-based immigration system. They, and their family members, are eligible to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme. Those residents here by 31 December 2020 have until 30 June 2021 to do so. More information on the EU Settlement Scheme can be found here.

For more information, please visit the UK Council for International Student Affairs website or you can contact our Admissions team for step-by-step guidance.

Working Whilst Studying

Working part time during your studies or in vacation periods can be a great way to get to know other people and boost your skills as well as earning extra money. However, before you take any employment in the UK, you should always check if you have permission to work in the UK. Studying on a student visa may mean that you’re eligible to work for up to 20 hours a week, however each visa is different and some may have less hours or offer no right to work. You should check your visa for any restrictions.

The following information is relevant for Arts University Plymouth students who hold a Student Visa. The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) regularly posts guidance and advice regarding working in the UK, and we recommend that students check out their website.

Does your visa allow you to work in the UK?

You can check if you are permitted to work in the UK by firstly looking at what is written on your Student Visa. If you are studying at degree level and your CAS was issued by Arts University Plymouth, you should find that the visa states that you are permitted to work a maximum of 20 hours per week during term time.

If you are studying below degree level (for example if you are studying a foundation programme), you may in some instances find that you are restricted to working a maximum of 10 hours per week during term time.

If your visa states any of the following phrases this means that you are not permitted to work in the UK:

  • No work

  • Work prohibited

If your visa does permit you to work in the UK, you must not work more than the number of hours per week you are allowed, as this would be a breach of your immigration conditions and a criminal offence.

If you have doubts about your right to work in the UK, the permitted hours, or if the visa says something unusual or something that you don't understand, you should contact the international office to discuss. It is very important that you check your permission to work and the permitted hours before you do any work in the UK. If you breach the working conditions of your visa, even by accident, both you and your employer could be subject to a substantial fine and prosecution.

Work that is not eligible under a Student Visa

Unfortunately, not all work is eligible under the Student Visa route. This work broadly fits into the following categories:

  • Self-Employment

  • Professional Sportsperson

  • Entertainer

  • Permanent Full-Time job

UKCISA has written a very helpful blog regarding working during studies, what is defined as 'self-employed' or an entertainer. It clarifies rules regarding being 'on call', private selling, income from digital and 'influencers', ad-hoc work such as couriering, amongst many other forms of income generation.

Definition of a week
UKVI define a week as a period of 7 days starting with a Monday. During this period, you must not work more than the maximum hours per week allowed by your visa. This weekly limit includes paid work and unpaid work.

Definition of term time
Term time means any period of time when you are expected to do any academic work. For example;

  • Attending classes and lectures

  • Writing essays, dissertations or a thesis

  • Preparing for and taking exams

  • Doing coursework

The Graduate Visa Route
The UK government have launched a “Graduate Visa” that allows students who have completed a degree (Undergraduate or Postgraduate) to stay in the UK for at least 2 years after graduating.

For information on how to apply for the Graduate Visa, please visit the Study UK Website.

51268934070 1754a680c8 k

Checklist before your arrival:

  • Money/card for your arrival and living

  • Passport and visa

  • Travel insurance or other relevant insurance

  • Your accommodation address and contact number

Checklist for your arrival:

  • If you do not know where to go, please go to Arts University Plymouth’s Campus Reception at Tavistock Place, email enquiries@aup.ac.uk or Whatsapp us on 07722 744184

  • Collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) within 10 days of arrival. Collection address: Plymouth Post Office, 73-85 New George Street, Plymouth PL1 1RP

  • Do not forget to register with the police if your country is on the list that requires registration, please check their website for the Police National Registration Scheme to see if you need to register.

  • Please register with a local doctor (GP), visit the GP Plymouth Register for all of the different options available. Remember, you have paid your Health Surcharge, and that the majority of health care is free in the UK. The closest Doctors Surgery to campus is the University Medical Centre.

  • Open a UK bank account, you can request a letter from our Campus Reception at Tavistock Place or email enquiries@aup.ac.uk

There's also a downloadable version of our handy checklist below!

We are committed to ensuring that our students have suitable accommodation choices, and all first-year undergraduate students are guaranteed accommodation within the city, provided they apply by the January deadline and accept their offer within the timeframe set out by UCAS or by our Admissions team.

We work with our safe and affordable accommodation provider Host to bring you a wide range of private halls and amongst others we also recommend Cross House owned by Homes for Students and Beckley Point owned by Yugo. Whatever type of accommodation you are looking for, shared Halls with social spaces or a private studio or apartment, we’ll help you find a place to live that suits you.

Our recommended accommodation provider Host, have several policies in place to support students, including:

  • Semester Lets available
  • No Place, No Pay
  • Restricted Travel Promotion
  • Flexible Booking
  • No Visa, No Pay

To find out more about HOST's policies please click here.

Most students in their first year choose to live in a Student Hall of Residence. All rooms in halls of residence offer ensuite bathrooms, and have bright and airy communal areas, with cooking, dining and social facilities.

  • Rooms are fully furnished
  • Share your flat with other Arts University Plymouth students
  • 24/7 concierge at selected properties
  • Stay for up to 51 weeks of the year
  • Within walking distance to the campus

There are various Student Letting agents in the city, many of whom have international liaisons who can offer guidance and support for students adjusting to their new surroundings. Visit our accommodation page to get started.

When it comes to packing for university, it can be tricky to know exactly what you need, and difficult to get it transported to your accommodation. This is why Arts University Plymouth have teamed up with UniKitOut, the UK’s #1 provider of student Starter Kits. UniKitOut make moving into your new accommodation as easy as possible, because they deliver your Kit to your accommodation before you arrive.

With everything from bedroom to bathroom covered in their customisable kits, you can choose everything you need and it'll be ready and waiting for you when you arrive.

Arts University Plymouth students get a 10% discount at UniKitOut - don’t forget to use discount code AUP10 to get 10% off when you order.

Accommodation Guaranteed

If you are unable to find the information you are looking for on our International pages or the Welcome Site please contact us: